Friday, April 15, 2011

Wisdom From a Fortune Cookie - Everything You Are


"Everything you are against weakens you. Everything you are for empowers you."

Finally got a worthwhile fortune cookie with a timely message.
This message actually has meaning to me. I have been caught up in the political discourse of late. It has really drawn me down and at times brought depression. I have been having a feeling of helplessness with regards to what goes on in Washington. This is further exacerbated when you hear Senators say basically that they don't care what the polls say or what people want, or they just make up their own polls or in the case of Fox actually flip the results of the poll. It is truly frustrating to be an American and know that your voice is drowned out by corporations and biased media that controls what goes on in this country. I have become so embroiled in all of this and trying to raise awareness about our environment, our food supply, attacks on our elderly, attacks on the poor, attacks on women, and on and on. I get depressed when I hear that the reason I am paying more for gas is not because of supply and demand but because some speculators have driven the price, while our government sits on their collective asses because, hey, it's Wall Street and they are Teflon. I got upset as I watched our country meltdown because of illegal dealings of Wall Street and yet not one person has been prosecuted. In one report, a SEC agent was even told to back off his investigation. I watch as my 401k dwindles. Yeah, I don't have a pension because hey, we did away with those. We decided that putting the money in the stock market was better. So we compelled everyone to move to 401ks. I see people struggling. Meantime, I change the channel because I want to regurgitate because they think it entertaining to show me some millionaire's new plane that looks more like a motorhome and by the way, trimmed in gold. Meantime, more and more see their jobs going overseas, and as they are laid off they get to listen to some Senator tell them too bad as their unemployment runs out. Sometimes, I just want to shut off the TV, turn off the radio, turn off the computer and just tune out. But that's not me. Unlike our government and some of the politicians and corporations, I care about my fellow human beings. I care about the land, the trees, the rivers, the animals. I want to see a world of harmony and balance. And being barraged with all of the news and stories about pollution, global warming, poverty, and the demise of the empire, and yes, we are an empire, I just get weak. So yes, I am against anything that is not for the average Joe. I am against anything that is not for the environment. I am against anything that is not for bringing this world into balance. And because of this, I have been made weak. I have fought depression. I have struggled to want to continue walking this earth walk.

Then you get a simple message like this. Just two sentences of simple wisdom. And instead of collapsing into a heap of despair, you begin to refocus and have a spark of your old self. The words of the serenity prayer come back to you.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

I can continue to sign ineffective petitions. I will do that because the hope is one day someone will listen. I will continue to speak out against the injustices I believe are being perpretated on the American people. I will continue to bring light on the so-called Christians who want God back in the world, but then move to cut every social program and leave the poor and elderly destitute while lining their own pockets.

I will do all that, but, I will go back to writing of a new world. A world of peace and harmony. A world where all life is respected. A world where a wolf is not murdered because it might one day get hungry and kill a cow that a rancher has on National Forest land. A world where it doesn't matter what your skin color is, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation, as long as you love each other, you can marry and the government will treat it like any other marriage. A world much like John Lennon spoke about in his song Imagine. I find it ironic how many people love that song and the message it brings but do nothing to bring it about. Personally, I would love to see a world without money. Where the measure of a man is by the size of his heart, not his wallet. That is the world I want to live in. Imagine not ever having to worry about whether you have the money to heat your home or drive to work, or pay for medicine? I think it is time to get back to writing about the things I am for. Who knows, maybe it will inspire just the right people that they will bring about the change to make this a better world for all people.

Here's to a brighter future.
My heart to your heart, one heart, one spirit.
White Wolf of the Turtle Clan

No comments:

Post a Comment